The Sant Andreu Cemetery was opened in 1839 and belongs to the municipality of Sant Andreu del Palomar which formed part of the Barcelona expansion plan. It appears to be the first area within the plan to offer a new cemetery shortly after the construction of that of Poblenou.
Sant Andreu became part of the city of Barcelona in 1897. In 1899 the Barcelona City Council approved the first expansion plan for the Sant Andreu Cemetery. The work was carried out with some urgency and around 500 niches were built at this time. In 1913 a chapel was erected and the final phase of the expansion was carried out in 1919, resulting in the site we see today.