Poblenou Cemetery was blessed by Bishop Pau Sitjar on April 15, 1819. Bishop Sitjar promoted the construction of the cemetery according to the neoclassic project designed by the Italian architect Antonio Ginesi (1789-1824).
Bishop Sitjar took was in charge of the project’s finances, and for this reason the administration of the cemetery belonged to the Church. It did not pass to the city until the end of the 19th century.
After several enlargements, the cemetery today consists of a gaden and 4 different departments separate from each other. The main entrance is flanked by two obeliscs with sculptures that symbolize faith and hope. The sculptures are the work of F. Pagès Serratosa. The portico at the entrances is crowned by an angel trumpeting the final judgement which was created in the workshop of the Vallmitjana brothers.
The Genesi project includes the first department. In this department there are two intersecting paths. At each of the four intersections of the paths, there are niches, pantheons and tombs. In the middle of the main path you can see the monument dedicated to the victims of the yellow fever which devasted Barcelona in 1821. At the end of this main path is the chapel.
The first enlargement ogf the cemtery resulted in what is now the second department, also know as “the eclectic” department. This department is situated behind the chapel. This enlargement was part of the project headed by Joan Nolla between 1849 and 1852. There are 120 chapel arches, the boardroom and monumental pantheons in diverse styles. These were commissioned by some of the most illustrious families in the city, mainly the new bourgeoisie who made their fortunes in Cuba.